Wednesday, June 11, 2008

SQL code completion

I am an intellisense addict… I need it..it’s like my crack. I work faster on it and am grumpy when I don’t have it. So needless to say I was pretty excited when I saw
http://www.red-gate.com/products/SQL_Prompt/index.htm?gclid=CLKutfCP7JMCFQJtFQod_hn5Vw

Not having R# at work annoys the living daylights out of me. In 3 hours at home I can do the same amount of work I can do in a whole day in the office (it helps the requirements are a little more fixed)
In saying that, differently implementations of code completion also pisses me off. I love having the help in PL/SQL but I want to use tab for code completion not forced to use Enter… finicky? Yeah… but I switch between IDEs often during the day...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SQL Profiler is great. I've been using it off and on for a couple of years and it is especially nice when you are exploring a schema you don't already know well.

Theo Spears said...

Hello Rhys.

I'm pleased to hear you are finding SQL Prompt useful. I completely agree with your comments about the behaviour of different editors. With SQL Prompt we have tried to be as flexible as possible to accommodate everyone (e.g. 7 different possible completion keys) but take this too far and people spend more time configuring the tool than using it.

Theo Spears
Red Gate