Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Web Development

My original roots in .Net were very much in ASP.Net. My first real dev role was in .Net 1.0 on an early e-commerce app that had its early prerelease roots in classic ASP. I really enjoyed ASP.Net but found myself moving away from the front end and more in to SQL and middle ware as I worked on larger project.

Over the last couple of years I have not had a lot of commercial involvement with asp.net front end. I had the (dis)pleasure of some win-forms front ends on my last contract but mainly middleware/domain/messaging level stuff.

So I thought I had really fallen out of touch the other day when my partner mentioned that a company she was working for was paying $X for what was basically a brochure-ware web site. This value was around the monthly wage of a dev in this part of the world. I could not believe it. I told her to make sure they got a price break down and said (more out of example) that I could probably do it in 2-3 days. The price break downs were just silly and I was shown the concept of what they wanted. This was on Monday night. Tuesday afternoon I had a fully functioning site that met all of the requirements and look pretty good. I gave a demo to the missus and with a few CSS changes the site was done. Hardly a months work. The other benefit is the site is built in a framework that allows for extension of functionality. The company may may need email marketing, blogs, newsletters and basic site management, something that was not available from the other vendor. I could not believe it, the cheeky little buggers!

It was nice to know that my web skills have completely gone out the window either... CSS; how I have missed you... lol!

No comments: